Crawling on the carpet. Why does your dog drag this body along the floor with his front feet propelling him along the carpet?
There is a very simple explanation but crawling on the carpet can present a problem.
My dogs like to crawl along the carpet and I thought it was funny until I noticed that sometimes it means there is a skin issue or problems.
If your dog has a habit of crawling on the carpet, it may mean there are bumps on his belly. It doesn't always mean you have a problem but be sure and check the area for hot spots or sores.
I saw my female dog doing this and gently rolled her on her back to find a bunch of red spots all over her belly. This is what I do to get rid of those nasty bumps.
- Wash the belly area with a soap that kills bacteria.
- If the sores have scabs on them give your dog a bath
- Let the sores soak in the bath for 10 minutes or until soft
- Gently scrape away the scabs and disinfect with Hydrogen Peroxide
- Put a triple antibiotic cream on the sores
- Ask your vet for an appropriate medication for the sores
These bumps and scabs may be hot spots or a bacterial infection. Be sure to check with your vet regarding these bumps as they might be a staph infection.
Another reason your dog is crawling on the carpet can be because of flea bites. Be sure to wash you dog in a flea shampoo and always wash his or her bedding because that's where the flea eggs are.